Jared Diamond’s recent book “Upheaval – Turning Points for Nations in Crisis” also discusses personal crises. Diamond sees many similarities between individuals and nations in crisis. He elaborates on the following factors related to the outcomes of personal crises. He acknowledges that divorce is a personal crisis and these factors apply to divorce. I would agree.
- Acknowledgment that one is in crisis
- Acceptance of one’s personal responsibility to do something
- Building a fence, to delineate one’s individual problems needing to be solved
- Getting material and emotional help from other individuals and groups
- Using other individuals as models of how to solve problem
- Ego strength
- Honest self-appraisal
- Experience of previous personal crises
- Flexible personality
- Individual core values
- Freedom from personal constraints
The factors remind me of Kübler-Ross model for the crisis of illness and dying which also apply to divorce and mediation.
Learn more about mediation at http://www.center-divorce-mediation.com CDM (366) 8/1/19